The following commitments can create a culture of respect for seniors in our community. With this approach we can develop a safe & respectful society in which we can all grow old with dignity.
- We will recognise and value the lived experience, the story and the identity of the older person
- We will value and honour the chosen values of the older person
- We will value and acknowledge the competence and contribution of lived life (not just present performance)
- We will recognise and honour the diminishing number of intimate relationships of the older person
- We will be alert to the shifts in power and autonomy that happen through physical and mental incapacity
- We will be patient and participatory in negotiated proxy decision making with older persons
- and we will honour the vulnerable shifts that happen between independence, interdependence and dependence for older persons.